N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

I needed to find out if statute 1946.1 in regards to 60 days

Customer Question

I needed to find out if statute 1946.1 in regards ***** ***** days covers a property that is 2 units or can they give only 30 days? Statute reads I.e Single family, condo and notice did not come from actual owner
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

I assume you are referring to a California residential tenancy.

Civil Code § 1946.1 is posted at

http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1940-1954.1

What I believe to be the relevant portions state:

(b) An owner of a residential dwelling giving notice pursuant to this section shall give notice at least 60 days prior to the proposed date of termination. A tenant giving notice pursuant to this section shall give notice for a period at least as long as the term of the periodic tenancy prior to the proposed date of termination.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (b), an owner of a residential dwelling giving notice pursuant to this section shall give notice at least 30 days prior to the proposed date of termination if any tenant or resident has resided in the dwelling for less than one year.

So the answer is Yes, it covers a property consisting of 2 or any other number of units.

I hope this information is helpful.