Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Can a deed of lieu of foreclosure be change after recording

Customer Question

can a deed of lieu of foreclosure be change after recording
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you give me a little more detail about your situation?

.

Are you asking if the actual paper deed can be legally changed after it is recorded in the public records?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can a deed in lieu of foreclosure be removed from public record if the owner of the property is willing to do so
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

No, once something is in the public record, it is there forever unless it is somehow defective and a judge puts out an order that it be removed from the public record. A deed in lieu of foreclosure is a civil record, not a criminal one, so it can't "expunged" like some criminal records can be.. Unfortunately, the DIL would remain in the public records indefinitely and would appear on a person's credit report for up to 7 years as a negative entry.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks