Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

We mailed an abandoment letter on September 16th. The 4th

Customer Question

We mailed an abandoment letter on September 16th. The 4th will be exactly 18 days, can we change locks tomorrow or wait until the 5th, Monday. The letter was certified mailed and has not been picked up. We will receive it back on Monday. I want locks changed
asap.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to wait until you received the letter back and then you need to make an examination of the premises, since as a landlord you have a right to go in and inspect the premises. You have to show that the reasonable person upon examination of the premises would believe it to have been abandoned combined with the fact that you have received no response from the letter, that would give you your right to change the locks and reclaim your property.