RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I have a home listed, and the brokerage I listed it with has

Customer Question

I have a home listed for sale, and the brokerage I listed it with has been sold to another brokerage company. The agent has asked for us to transfer the listing to the new broker. Do I absolutely need to transfer, or can I take the house off of the market by not transferring and not be liable for a commission - I am having second thoughts about selling at the listing price.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, you do not have to transfer the listing to the new broker or agency. Moreover, you have no legal obligation to continue to try and sell your home, if you do not want to. You can remove the listing and wait to sell at another time. You can not be forced to sell your home and the fact that a new company bought them out, would not obligate you to just use this new company, if you did not want to.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!