Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

In NJ, 1) Is the landlord obligated to have oven/stove

Customer Question

In NJ, 1) Is the landlord obligated to have oven/stove for the rental? What about refrigerator? 2) The tenant is insisting on having a new stove, because one of the burners (out of 4 burners) is not working. He was aware of this prior to signing the lease.
Am I obligated to have all burners working? 3) My new tenant is insisting on seeing the certification of occupancy (CO) for his apartment. I have received the CO, 2.5 years ago. As a landlord am I obligated to shoe the CO to the tenant? 4) The apartment is
in West Orange, NJ. What forms/documents do I need to provide to the tenant? The only one I am aware of is the “Landlord Identity Registration statement”. Can you help me find that form for West Orange?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The law says only that the landlord must provide a habitable premises based on what was advertised to the tenant. So if when the tenant came to the premises if it included a stove/refrigerator/dishwasher etc, then they are entitled under the law to have those appliances in working order, even if they knew the stove had a burner out at the time of the rental, because the lease grants them the right of a usable premises. So if the stove is broken, they are entitled to ask for it to be fixed.

If the apartment did not have a refrigerator when you rented it, then it is not your responsibility to provide one, it is up to the tenant to get one for themselves and it belongs to the tenant.

You must show the tenant the certification of occupancy if they request it.

Also, if you have a registration that the apartment is legal, you need to show that to the tenant as well, since they are entitled to know the premises they are renting is a legal rental.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Help me better understand the "habitable premises" term. When 3 our of 4 burners of the gas stove is working, how one burner not working is making the premises inhabitable? I have used that exact stove for a year and my family and I never felt that the apartment is inhabitable.2. Can you forward me the link that explains how often I should renew the CO for West Orange, NJ?
3) You wrote:"if you have a registration that the apartment is legal". What form is that?
4) The apartment is in West Orange, NJ. What forms/documents do I need to provide to the tenant? Can you help me find those forms for West Orange?
Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

Legally, when someone rents a property, whatever is shown in the premises must be working in normal working order. If the stove is not fully working, then the tenant has a right to insist that it works fully, even though one burner being out would not make the home where she could not live there. It is a landlord's duty to make sure everything in the property though is in working order.

In West Orange you must renew the CO prior to the rental or change in occupancy. See: http://www.westorange.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/44

You must also register as a landlord: http://www.westorange.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/357

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. This is a multifamily house. Do I need to get a certificate of continued occupancy (CCO) for the whole multifamily after a tenant moves out of the apartment, or it depends on the number of units? Sometimes I have tenants moving out 4 times a year. Does that mean I get and pay for a new CCO?
2. For West Orange, NJ in addition to landlord identity registration and CO, what other forms do I need to fill?

Thank you for your reply.

It would be for the unit that you need the certificate. If tenants keep moving out, then you need to make sure that you comply and renew the CO, if you read the second page of the form at the first link I provided above, it actually tells you that.

I gave you the link to the forms you need, I gave you 2 links for forms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these links the ONLY forms I need to submit to rent the apartments?
What is the website link to view the CO and CCO that was issued?
Thank you,

Thank you for your reply.

I gave you the link for the CO and the link for the landlord registration, there is nothing else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What is the website link to view the CO and CCO that was the city issued?

I think you missed them, they are up above, I gave them to you already, they are forms you must fill out and file. The experts are not employees of this site and get nothing for spending time with you when customers do not leave positive feedback and having to repeat their efforts is not fair to the expert when all you have to do is look in this question and the links are there. However here they are again below:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You misunderstood my question. I am not asking for any forms, so don't put any more time resending the same things you sent me. Unfortunately I don't get refunded for my membership, when the expert doesn't answer my question and sends me the same info over and over again. But I understand that we all make mistakes, that's why I didn't complain.What is the website link, to view the CO and CCO that the city (west orange, nj) issued to a house owner or landlord? I have been told all permits and CO/CCO are open to public.

Thank you for your clarification.

Unfortunately, what you are asking for is not available. Yes the CO is a public record and available for anyone to view, but there is no online search for those forms, you have to actually go to the clerk's office. You can see from the city's site, there is no place to search these permits online: http://www.westorange.org/index.aspx?NID=253