LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

Water damage from second floor. I own the first floor condo.

Customer Question

water damage from second floor. I own the first floor condo. is it true that I cannot sue the landlord for the damages to my condo? Bonnie G
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Bonnie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. You have a landlord? I though you wrote that you own your condo?

2. What was the cause of the water leak?

3. Did this "landlord" do anything negligent that resulted in the water damage?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do NOT have a land lord I own m y condo. The owner of the condo above me has a renter in it. the water damage was from a broken pipe, I think, in the kitchen and leaked down into my kitchen. The HOA repaired it . In my kitchen the Hazmat team sealed it off and tested for mold after they dried it out and drilled holes(28 to be exact) and ran fans for a week. It test NO MOLD then they removed three walls and partial ceiling ,took out the cabinets, sink, and plumbing.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what caused the pipe to break?

Did the person living above you do anything to facilitate the pipe breaking? Was it a pipe, or perhaps a hose to a washing machine?

Doug