TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My daughter t a neighbor's mailbox with her side mirror. She

Customer Question

My daughter hit a neighbor's mailbox with her side mirror. She didn't go off the road and in fact the mailbox placement has it overhanging the road. The neighbor wants us to pay for the minor damage to his mailbox. My daughter's side mirror is broken off. What options do I have and is he liable for my daughters mirror.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Your daughter hit a stationary object. Accordingly, in most cases she would be held liable. If this were to end up in court, in most instances I think the neighbor would win upon a simple showing that your daughter was driving, and that her car hit the mailbox.

However, there is an exception to the above: If your daughter can prove that the mailbox is particularly difficult to see, and that any ordinary person driving with reasonable care and skill would have hit it, then she may not be found liable. It would obviously be very helpful if there were other instances of the mailbox being hit by other drivers.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!