Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Do I have the right to write negative feedback about an

Customer Question

do I have the right to write negative feedback about an apartment complex and not be sued over the comments I make??
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi -

There is a fine line between giving your opinion and defaming a person/entity. As long as you give your OPINION (and make clear that it is your opinion) and keep to the FACTS (and not misrepresent anything), then you can write something without fear of being sued - - after all, we still have first amendment/free speech rights.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

However, if you KNOWINGLY make FALSE statements and present them as the truth, that's where you get into trouble.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you knowingly make false statements and represent them as the truth, that's when you can be sued for defamation. Also, if you accuse someone of committing a crime without any proof, that's defamation per se (which means that the law presumes that you're liable for defamation and you have to disprove it).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never mind I think I get what you sat
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversations o I may receive credit for assisting . Thanks again.