TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

WHAT CAN I DO IF MY LANDLORD WENT THREW MY TRASH THAT I PUT

Customer Question

HELLO ***** DO IF MY LANDLORD WENT THREW MY TRASH THAT I PUT IN THE APARTMENT DUMPSTER WHERE I LIVE GOT MY MAIL OUT OF IT TOLD ME I HAVE TO PAY FOR TRASH BEING ON THE GROUND WHEN I NO I DIDNT PUT IT THERE I THOUGHT FIRST THING OPENING UP SOMEONE TRASH AND GOING THREW IT WAS A FEDERAL CRIME.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

No, going through somebody's trash is most definitely not a federal crime. It is not a crime at all. Once somebody throws something away, it is fair game for anybody else. Accordingly, you no longer have any privacy with regard to anything that you throw away. However, if you didn't make the mess out of your trash, then clearly you aren't responsible for paying any fees associated with the trash being a mess. I don't know how your landlord would attempt to prove that you caused the mess. It seems highly unlikely, and therefore I would refuse to pay any fees that the landlord attempts to impose upon you. I would make it clear that you will be happy to pay only if the landlord can provide any shred of evidence that it was you. Once you threw the trash away, anybody could've made the mess with it. If push came to shove, and this dispute ended up in court, I strongly believe that the judge would rule in your favor given these facts.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!