Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I HAVE OWNED LAND LOCKED, NON-CONFORMING ACREAGE IN

Customer Question

i HAVE OWNED LAND LOCKED, NON-CONFORMING ACREAGE IN DENVER/ENGLEWOOD, CO. FOR OVER 40 YEARS. IT HAS BEEN MY RESIDENCE AND IS IN A FLAG POLE SITUATION. THE ACREAGE WAS RESIDENTIAL 40+ YEARS BEFORE I BOUGHT AND MOVED IN AND ZONED COMMERCIAL HAS BUILT UP AROUND ME. THE ASSESSOR WANTS TO CHANGE MY ZONING FROM RES. WITH $190,000.00 TO COMMERCIAL WHICH WOULD BE 4 XS THAT AMOUNT. HOW DO I GET "GRANDFATHER" STATUS? THANK YOU, M
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Are you using the property for commercial or residential purposes now?

.

How long ago was it zoned commercial?

.

Have you just received notice that they want to adjust the taxable amount?

.

If so, have you filed an appeal to any initial decision?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are using it for residential purposes. They tried to zone it commercial in 2015. And yes we have just received notice. In fact we're to the point of a binding arbitration next month.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then your recourse here is to object to any reassessment as commercial, which it sounds like you have done, and then file an appeal to their attempt to reappraise the property if you are unable to reach a settlement with them. If you still are not able to reach a settlement, then you can file suit again your local court make a formal ruling. ..But in most situations like this if you put up a fight to any reassessment, they will back down rather than have to defend in court....Thanks. ..Barrister