Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am special poa mother. she purchased a home in nm in 2004

Customer Question

I am special poa for my mother. she purchased a home in nm in 2004 and recently filed a deed in lieu with the mortgage co. the hardship is due to severe defects in the home that were hidden when purchased. she was never late nor missed a payment. however since her credit will suffer a 2-year hit finding a place even to rent is a challenge. her income is aprox. 5,000 per month. she is 82. there has to be a program that can help, hasn't there?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

With her income, that is going to be an issue because she does not qualify for the social services or section 8 programs that are typically available to the elderly, because they are reserved for low income persons.

I am afraid that she is going to have to get a place with a co-signer if the landlords are being that harsh about not renting to her, but most should not once she explains why her credit is damaged. Some will request a guarantor, but if she gets someone to sign as surety, generally they will rent to her.

I am afraid that there are no real programs other than she can go though the local senior citizens center, as many times they have landlords who go through the senior center to rent to seniors, but otherwise there are no real programs for this I am sorry to say.