Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am behind in my HOA dues and the HOA committee is not

Customer Question

I am behind in my HOA dues and the HOA committee is not willing to work out on a payment plan with me. They are demanding the whole amount plus fees and penalties be paid all at once over $7,000.00. They placed a lien on my home and threatened to foreclose on my home if all monies due are not paid within two weeks. Is there an organization to help homeowners keep their homes.
Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid there are no public or government agencies that provide such assistance. The only possible agencies are your local community groups like religious organizations that may provide assistance to families who are potentially losing their homes. Unfortunately, the help is limited and if the HOA will not negotiate and the amount they are seeking is the correct amount, there is little that can be done other than possibly seeking to file Chapter 13 bankruptcy to seek to get some type of payment plan forced upon them by the court before they can foreclose on the property.