Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I have a lot with the legal description on record with

Customer Question

I have a lot with the legal description on record with county stating that it is 22,500 sq feet but it is on a lake so the lot line changes with the ohwl.So that makes the lot smaller.Is the legal description right or is the county right?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. The legal description would not change unless the leke was added after the property was platted. The square footage is not generally part of a legal description. So, the legal description is valid and takes precedence over any measurement subject to the water line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The legal description does not contain the measurement but the plot map does contain a scale and lot measurements. So as I understand it, the legal description is based off the plot so therefor the legal description set precedence.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The square footage on riparian property is subject to change, but for identification purposes, the legal description controls unless it is amended.