ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

I was appointed treasurer of our hoa 3 weeks ago. I have

Customer Question

I was appointed treasurer of our hoa 3 weeks ago. I have decided I do not want the position. I have not yet been put on the bank account or been given the computer with all of the residents info and the quick books. Do I need to worry about any legal ramifications since I have not actually take over any duties of the job. I planned on emailing a formal resignation, do I need to send one by registered mail also. Bill
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I would not be worried about any legal ramifications, as there were no actions taken by you in this role and no obligations to act in any manner during this time. You can resign at any time per Florida law:

617.0842 Resignation and removal of officers

(1) An officer may resign at any time by delivering notice to the corporation. A resignation is effective when the notice is delivered unless the notice specifies a later effective date. If a resignation is made effective at a later date and the corporation accepts the future effective date, its board of directors may fill the pending vacancy before the effective date if the board of directors provides that the successor does not take office until the effective date of the pending vacancy.

(2) A board of directors may remove any officer at any time with or without cause. Any officer or assistant officer, if appointed by another officer, may likewise be removed by such officer.

There's no set method to deliver this notice under the law. The best thing to do is to have one that you can prove receipt. A fax could do this, but certified mail, return receipt requested would be best. An email to the board and a response from the chairman that it's received would also suffice, but again, proving the receipt would be what you would want. If it were me, I would deliver this notice in a number of manners (email, fax, mail) just to show that I took all reasonable methods to appraise the board of my resignation.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)