RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

What do i do if im late with my rent first time and now how

Customer Question

what do i do if im late with my rent for the first time and now how the money but the owners already file for eviction,i dont what to do im new to north carolina
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Before filing for eviction, the landlord must give the renter 10 days notice of any past due rent. After the notice period is expired and the renter has not paid the rent due, an action for Summary Ejectment may be filed in Small Claims Court. If the landlord did not provide this notice, then you have a defense to raise and they would need to provide it, which would allow you to pay and cure the problem, thus stopping the eviction. Now, if they did do this, then you would need to contact them and offer to pay the past due rent and any late fees or fees associated with the filing of the eviction. If they do not respond, then you need to appear in court with the money and tender it there, seeing if it will be accepted, to stop this.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!