P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

I got a letter in the mail Thursday along with my two

Customer Question

I got a letter in the mail Thursday along with my two siblings (same exact letter) My great aunt passed away two years ago and left my Mother $500.00. but my Mother died before she could pick up the check. (My Mother had no will) The letter said "I suggest you take the copy of this check (enclosed is photo copy of check,) to the Oswego County Surrogates court clerk at the Oswego Courthouse, bring along a death certificate for your Mother. Request from the clerk a "Small Estates Affidavit" then bring that Affidavit to my office, and I can release the original check to you. ............ The lawyer to my Great Aunts estate had the check re issued. Well I did everything that this lawyer asked me to, I went to the surrogate court and I became the Voluntary administrator. I picked up my necessary paperwork and went to my Great Aunts lawyer and he released the check to me. My question is , do I have to share this $500 with my two siblings or is it mine to do as I please. I did receive a paper from the surrogate court asking me to put where the money went and how much (which is only for the $500) My Mother owes nothing as her funeral expenses were all paid for.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for your recent law.
I want to make sure I understand...the $500 was for your mom, but she passed before she could receive the gift? Is that correct?

Did mom have a will?