Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

What is a right to squatter that's been in a house since

Customer Question

what is a right to squatter that's been in a house since 2008 and the landlord walked away from the property
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

First of all, understand that squatter's rights are not automatic. Squatter's rights - known more formally as adverse possession - is done via the Court. One FILES in Court, and proves that title should be given to them via adverse possession by proving that they satisfy all the requisites for it.

The requisites are that the property be held by the claimant a way that is “adverse, under claim of right, open and notorious, continuous, exclusive and actual.” And, that this be done for a minimum of 10 years. § 501 of the Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law of New York.

So the claimant will only have an ability to claim a title earliest in 2018, but not before, and this is by filing in Court and proving that they lived on that property for 10 years

adverse (without right)
under a claim or right
openly/notoriously
continuously
exclusively
actually

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!