Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am being told by the owner of the private road I live on

Customer Question

I am being told by the owner of the private road I live on that they can prohibit me from driving into my cottage, that they only have to allow me to walk into it. Is this true? also I need to know where I would find what my rights are as someone that
has deeded access to a road.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

That is not true. If you have an easement on the road and it is on your deed, then the owner is losing his mind or does not know the law. They cannot impair your easement rights to use the road. Unless the easement on your deed says no vehicles on the road, the owner cannot do that and if he does you can sue for damages for him impairing the easement as it makes no sense for someone to have a deeded road they cannot drive on and he cannot just impair that easement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me where I can access information on the laws in Ontario around this

Thank you for your reply.

You can find the information on those laws at: http://www.hummingbirdlaw.com/land-easements-forever-almost/

and

http://akellylaw.com/your-right-to-use-someones-real-estate/