Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Is there a way to find out who accessed our website and

Customer Question

Hi!
Is there a way to find out who accessed our website and when? It is being held hostage. We are in the process of a lawsuit. The website was down from around April. Once the law suit started, it came up again.
Who can I speak to?
THANK YOU.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You will need a forensic computer expert to examine your server to try to determine the IP address that made access to or took over your site. The expert would be necessary if you intend on using any of the information as part of your lawsuit. Once the expert determines the IP, then you would need to serve subpoenas on the other parties to seek to get information on their IP and ISP so you can seek to hold them responsible for the holding your site hostage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I was surprised to hear from a real estate attorney. I was looking for tech support to find someone or find out how to obtain the info. The person who is held the site hostage got wind of the lawsuit and put it back up right before I was able to do a screen shot. I need to find out when it came back up. He took out the search engines after we removed his passwords for updating the site.

Thank you for your reply. Actually I am an attorney, but do much more than real estate (but this site has tons of categories and put us in many of them).

For any court purposes, you would actually need a local forensic computer expert to do this, because if anyone else tampers with that computer or the site, they can destroy the value of anything discovered in court and the expert will actually have to testify in court as to what they found. You do not want to let anyone else mess with the site, you need a forensic computer expert and they will get the information if it can be found.