Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I own a condominium which I purchased with enclosed garage.

Customer Question

I own a condominium which I purchased with enclosed garage. HOA sais if I own only one car I HAVE to use my garage for the car and cannot use it as storage for my personal property. If I own 2 cars I have to use the garage for one car and I can park the second car inside the compound. I purchased the condo with the garage, I assume the garage is my property, thus I should be able to use it to store my things. I bought the condo some years ago when there was no mention of this; now all of a sudden we have new rules. Is this not tantamount to my property being taken? at least it feels that way !!!!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, this is a common problem with people who buy Condo or HOA properties. The Association can set rules and when you buy there you are bound to those rules. Thus, they can legally mandate you must put your car in the garage unless you have 2 cars and they can restrict how you use your property, since the association rules and bylaws govern how you can use property you actually own. This is why we tell people when considering buying in any association property to make sure they can live with the rules of the association and that they can live with people who vote by majority to tell them what they can and cannot do with their own property, because the laws allow these associations to make these rules up for everyone.