CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

My sister put our parents house in her name, in order to

Customer Question

My sister put our parents house in her name, in order to take care of legal matters, because my parents did not speak English. Dad has passed away but our mom is still alive. She told the remaining siblings that when mom passed on, she could do as she pleases with our parents. I told her that it belonged to us all and she would have to sell and divide the profits equally ?????
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn about this situation.

If the title to the properties is in your sister's name, the property(ies) belong to her, they do not belong to your parents, and the properties will not be distributed through probate at your mother's death.

If the title is actually held in a trust or in some other holding that would result in a different outcome, but as you posted it, the title is in her name, and these properties belong to her.