N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

Ray, I had water damage at my house in Beaumont, California

Customer Question

hI Ray, I had water damage at my house in Beaumont, California in March 2015. Emergency service that drained the water, removed the carpeting and baseboards cost about $13,500 and restoration cost almost the same amount. I have a homeowners insurance from the HO Association, and two other insurance companies. The HO Assn paid for most of the damage and the other two split the $13,500 paid to emergency service co. It was only in late August 2015 that my house was restored to its original condition. Fortunately we have another house in that my wife and I are able to use which could have been rented. FMV of the rent would have been $1,800. My question is whether I could file a claim for 5 months for not being able to occupy the house that was water damaged for 5 x $1,800 = $9,000. What do you think? Thanks for your advice.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Does your homeowner's policy have a coverage called something like temporary living expenses?