Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

My neighbor granted a 20 ft. Easement Deed to a prior owner

Customer Question

My neighbor granted a 20 ft. Easement Deed to a prior owner of my property. This easement was second to the previous easement for my neighbor to the west; and now there are two properties served by one easement. Where the easement meet the road, a power pole and fire hydrant use up ten of that twenty ft. easement. This means that the easement curves to avoid running into these obstacles. This narrow 10 ft. curve eliminates the full enjoyment of our properties, and prevents large vehicles, vehicles in tow and most important, the Fire Department from accessing these two properties.
Question: At the beginning of the curve, furthest from the road, 1) is the easement measured 20 ft. from the property line or, 2) 20 ft. from the asphalt curb that conforms to the curve ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

How is the easement described in the written document?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a current survey depicting the easement when you purchased the property?