Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I bought my home 15 years ago the realator told me where the

Customer Question

i bought my home 15 years ago the realator told me where the property line was my deed gos back to 1895 i have mowed the property since day one.i have never had a survey done i recently put up a 15000 dollar building my nieghbor now has a survey crew here they show new building on his property can he make me remove building
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)!

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

1. I am looking at NY law on this and will be back shortly....

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

The first thing to know here is that the law that existed before 2008 in NY was more favorable to you. Under the Franza case, 897 N.Y.S.2d at*****said : “[W]here title has vested by adverse possession, it may not be disturbed retroactively by newly-enacted or amended legislation.” So we need to determine when titled vested. Franza v. Olin, 897 N.Y.S.2d 804, 807-08 (App. Div. 4th Dep’t 2010). "It is well-settled law that the adverse possession of property for the statutory period vests title to the property in the adverse possessor. "Adverse possession for the requisite period of time not only cuts off the true owner's remedies but also divests [the owner] of his [or her] estate." Thus, at the expiration of the statutory period, legal title to the land is transferred from the owner to the adverse possessor. Title to the property may be obtained by adverse possession alone, and "[t]itle by adverse possession is as strong as one obtained by grant." It therefore follows that, where title has vested by adverse possession, it may not be disturbed retroactively by newly-enacted or amended legislation."

In NY there is a 10-year statutory period of adverse possession. So title to that land vested in your favor, it appears, 10 years after you bought the house. This would put you at about 2010 which is 2 years after the 2008 changes. So, it appears that you fall under the new law which, I am sorry to say, does not work in your favor:

This is because 2008 legislation deemed certain encroachments and activities as "permissive and non-adverse" which previously might have been considered as evidence tending to show such use and occupation of the land by the intruder as adverse. Included in this now permissive and non-adverse category are (a) "de minimis non-structural encroachments," such as fences, hedges, plantings, sheds, and non-structural walls, and (b) "acts of lawnmowing or similar maintenance across the boundary line of an adjoining landowner's property." The RPAPL adverse possession amendments became effective on July 8, 2008, and they "apply to claims filed on or after such effective date."

That is different than what is said in Walling. In 2006, the New York Court of Appeals held that a neighbor adversely possessed land after running underground pipes and regularly mowing, raking, and planting on a portion of the title owner’s land. Walling v. Przybylo, 851 N.E.2d 1167 (N.Y. 2006).

Sorry about the long-winded analysis, but my opinion is that you do not have a clear-cut case of adverse possession here. Further, you may have other defenses that apply such as estoppel or waiver due to his silence while you were building the structure. I would suggest that you consult with a local real estate litigation lawyer in person about this as the matter is fairly complicated.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.