RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

If evicted from an apartment can you get your deposit back?

Customer Question

If evicted from an apartment can you get your deposit back? Eviction because my granddaughter moved in with me and her credit report is lousy and I am paying the rent and manager said if she isn't out by Oct. 3 that I will be evicted also
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The security deposit is used and should be applied for any damages done or necessary repairs, to the rental, upon vacating. Moreover, if any rent is owed, the landlord can typically apply and use the deposit for that as well. In this situation, the landlord could not keep the deposit because of the eviction. However, if they evict you and the rental sits idle, while they find a new tenant, they could then try and deduct it, since it was a result of you violating the lease agreement and having her move in, without permission. The landlord needs to make a good faith effort to mitigate damages and find a new tenant if they evict you and until they do, can apply the deposit to the rent, since it would be vacant and a result of your actions.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.