KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

Need a Real Estate agent or single family construction code

Customer Question

Need a Real Estate agent or single family construction code expert. I am buying a house with 5 steps and according to NC code it has to have rails. The previous owners are saying back in 1993 when they purchased the house it did not need steps, now the
appraiser is saying it needs steps to be in code. We had an inspection as well and he also mentioned we need steps to be up to code. My question would be, to buy this house, do the owners have to put in railings to sell it? Also, for us to then turn around
and sell it, would we have to put in stairs and would it be illegal to rent this house unless the rails are installed.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rails not steps. Code states if you have 3 or more steps you need rails.
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

The seller does not need to bring the property up to code to sell it. The buyer would just buy it taking on the risk that those changes need to be made.

As for renting out, yes, everything would need to be up to code in order to rent it out.

I hope this helps

Kim

Hi, just a reminder, if you are all set please close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating so that I get credit for my work with you yesterday.

Best of luck,

Kim

Hello again,

I see that your question is still open. Please don't forget to close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating. Otherwise, the system may keep your money and I won't get paid for my work with you.

Feel free to request me again in the future!

Thank you!

Kim

Hello again,

I see that this question still needs to be closed. Please close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating. If you don't, the system may keep your money and I won't get paid for my work with you.

Take care,

Kim

I need to close out this question. If you don't close the question (with a 4 or 5 rating), the system may keep your money and I won't get paid for my work with you.

This is my full time job, so I appreciate you taking care of this,

Kim