KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

I moved into a home in March and two of the four toilets

Customer Question

I moved into a home in March and two of the four toilets were replaced because of running water issues. In June the toliet to the bathroom of the room I am renting ending up leaking and going through floor to second floor. The landlord didn't replace my toliet, as I sit here in my room the water is running. And runs several times and I have to adjust the fixture in toliet. I just did my pre move inspection and my landlord charged me for all damages due to the leaking toliet that went through the floor and then mileage. Is this my fault? Or should the landlord cover it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Absolutely not. This is not your responsibility. The landlord is responsible to keep the toilet in working order and you are not at fault for the leak.

You should fight this. If you have to you can file a suit in landlord/tenant court in your county and handle it without a lawyer. Not acceptable at all for the landlord to try to collect that from you.

I hope this helps,

Kim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am moving back to Florida next week and I'll be 32 weeks pregnant. Would it be in my best interest to hire a lawyer for $300 something dollars she took from my deposit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The home in question is in prince William county, va

Ah, well for $300 it might not be worth it. It could take you that much in costs and especially in time just to fight it.

What I would do, though, is to send a letter disputing it, and denying that you owe it. Then this reserves your right to try to collect it in the future when things aren't so busy for you.

Kim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!

You are very welcome.

If you don't have any more follow up questions please don't forget to close out the question with positive feedback, so the system won't keep your money, and I will get credit for my time with you today.

Take care,

Kim

Hi there,

I just notice that this question didn't get closed out yesterday. It would be helpful if you close it out with positive feedback. Otherwise the system may keep your money, and I won't get credit for my work with you.

Thank you!

Kim

Hi, just a reminder, please close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating. Otherwise the system may keep your money and I won't get credit for my work with you.

Best of luck,

Kim

Hello again,

I see that this question still needs to be closed. Please close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating. If you don't, the system may keep your money and I won't get paid for my work with you.

Take care,

Kim

I need to close out this question. If you don't close the question (with a 4 or 5 rating), the system may keep your money and I won't get paid for my work with you.

This is my full time job, so I appreciate you taking care of this,

Kim