How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7243
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Parents passed away and house was left in Va. Originally,

Customer Question

Good morning, parents passed away and house was left in Va. Originally, there were thirteen children now it's nine living. Taxes are owed on the house around $22,000, I've tried numerous times since my mother passed almost twenty-four years ago to get everyone on-board so that we can pay the taxes and get a loan to remodel the house but no one wants to do it. We are close to losing the house, if interested siblings paid the taxes would they then own the house? If so what would they owe the others
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Just paying the taxes will not transfer title to the property to anyone, unless they were to bid for and purchase it at a tax sale. That is one way for someone, not necessarily you to obtain clear title. The other is to file a partition suit involving all current title holders, which might result in a settlement among all the siblings to clear the title. Failing that, a court ordered public auction would be held. IMO, the partition action is a much better course of action than bidding at tax sale. Because title is so fragmented (including spouses and children of predeceased siblings) no single owner will ever be able to mortgage or sell it. Quit Claim deeds from each and every other partial owner are needed to consolidate the title. If there are any minor children involved, that could involve guardianship proceedings. I wish you the best of luck.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Related Real Estate Law Questions