Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

Re: California Probate: As a beneficiary I received a Notice

Customer Question

Re: California Probate: As a beneficiary I received a Notice of Action to sell property in my Mothers estate. The Notice had an attached contract and info regarding the sale including the selling price. I agreed to it, along with three other family member beneficiaries, signed it and returned it to the administrator. A week later when the sale transaction was completed, we found that the buyer was different then the one in the Notice of Action and the price was $5000 lower. The sale has gone through according to the escrow company- is there anything we can do ? The administrator won't return our calls.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You're going to have a claim for breach of fiduciary duty against your administrator. The estate is not his personal piggy bank and the fact that he sent you a Notice of Action for your consent to the original sale evidences his awareness he needed to get your consent to a sale of the property. The fact that he then sold it for less than the sale you approved provides you with the breach of fiduciary duty cause of action. I would send him a letter by certified mail setting forth the foregoing and demand he personally make up each beneficiary's share of the $5,000 shortfall within a short specified period of time. If he fails to comply, file a petition with the probate court for the damages and to have him removed as administrator.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!