Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I currently have been living with a man 5 years. We own a

Customer Question

I currently have been living with a man for last 5 years. We own a business together and land together. the loan for the land is in my name only his name was put on the deed. WhT rights do I have when it comes to the division of property. I have a daughter that lives with me but we have no children together. All the credit used for the business and land has been mine. He also owes IRS money. What are my rights should they put a lien on the assets.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

His 1/2 interest in anything you own jointly would be subject to all of his creditors/debts/liens, etc. Thus, if the creditor tried to seize his interest in your real estate, it could sell the property....but you'd be entitled to the money for your 1/2 interest......or you could actually purchase/buy out his interest if you wanted to keep the property.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Anything that you own individually would be safe......but anything owned jointly would be subject to liquidation upon division. The same would go for your business.....his interest in the business could be liquidated to generate money to pay his creditors.