LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I cannot seem to find any information about dividing a

Customer Question

I cannot seem to find any information about dividing a vacant lot in 1/2 so I can legally purchase and transfer half ownership of it my neighbor and I can purchase the other half.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you do not own the property yet, then the most practical manner in which to approach this would be to ask the seller to subdivide the property into two lots and then sell you both lots. Then you could resell/transfer one of the lots to your neighbor and retain the other following the purchase from the seller.

Alternatively, you can buy the property and go through the process of subdividing the property yourself. Here is a link to a discussion of the subdivision process that you will encounter: http://www.wikihow.com/Subdivide-Property

However, before you buy the single lot with the intent of subdividing it, be sure to check with your local planning commission office to determine whether the lot meets the qualifications to be subdivided. Some lots are not capable of being subdivided based on minimum lot size requirements or other local requirements.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug