Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My boyfriend wants to buy a house and he will be paying the

Customer Question

My boyfriend wants to buy a house and he will be paying the mortgage but he wants me to pay for the downpayment for 20,000. What's my right for this, because I will be paying for the utilities and food...
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unless you get a written contract with your boyfriend that states you are entitled to reimbursement in the event of a break up and set up the terms under which you would get your money back from him, DON'T DO IT. We get customers here all the time with the same exact situation and what ultimately happens is if the relationship ends, the person cannot get their money back they put into the house, the house is in the boyfriend's name only and they are stuck with being forced from the home and no way to get any money back.

If you are going to be placed on the deed as joint tenant, then you also need to have an agreement for some buyout plan in the event the relationship ends.

Either way, you need a separate contract with him to protect your investment into the house. If you just put your money up without a contract, then you would end up with little to no rights if the deed is in his name only.