Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

If a you re a licensed contractor to compete work on your

Customer Question

If a you hire a licensed contractor to compete work on your home and he puts debris on a neighbor's property without you knowledge or consent can the neighbor sue you or is the contractor liable . What can I do? The contractor verbally says he will take care of it but has not. He wants me to pay for the removal although he goes lauded for excavation cost.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

The contractor here is liable for his damage.He did this without knowledge or consent.He is licensed here, the neighbor can report him, and sue him.Here you have done nothing and you are not liable for this debris.

The neighbor needs to report him and sue the contractor for costs of removal.Again you were not really a party to the actions of the contractor, you had no knowledge and did not consent to this at all.

If neighbor were to sue you these would be good defenses to such a suit since you did nothing wrong and did not have knowledge or consent to the harm.This is strictly on the contractor here based on what you present.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always sincerely appreciated.