Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

The last response was not what I needed. My renter is not on

Customer Question

The last response was not what I needed. My renter is not on a lease, but on a month to month rent. If I accepted an offer on the house tomorrow, how long can they remain in the house after the offer is accepted?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

A renter, even a month to month, has to be given proper notice to leave. That notice is generally 30 days. And that notice has to come either from the old owner or the new. Until either of those owners provide notice (during their respective time of ownership), the renter can remain on premises. If you are the owner, YOU have to give 30 days notice which then starts the period of time by which time the month-to-month tenant has to leave the property. Again, it is unrelated to the offer on the property, it is related to when you as landlord give notice that the month-to-month tenant has to move out.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Since you are in California, if the tenant has resided on your property for more than 1 year, you have to give a 60 day notice instead.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.