socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

If you are being forclosed do you have any time to leave or

Customer Question

If you are being forclosed do you have any time to leave or is it that day.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

The new owner will have to obtain a writ of possession from the court, so that the sheriff/marshal can forcibly remove you. This typically takes at least a week to accomplish, because law enforcement must schedule eviction actions, and the departments are almost always backlogged with eviction orders.

Sometimes, an agent representing the bank or new purchaser will offer you "cash for keys," because it's cheaper than going to court and paying the sheriff/marshal to remove you by force.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no that really does not tell me anything - thanks for your help

You asked: If you are being forclosed do you have any time to leave or is it that day.

My answer is absolutely specific and thoroughly covers the question as asked. If you need clarification, please feel free to ask, and I will be happy to provide further assistance.

On the other hand, if your reply is intended to set up a reason to avoid paying for the answer, then you really don't need to do that. You can simply not pay, and that will end the matter. Regardless, if your goal is to not pay, then I would appreciate it if you would simply say so -- because then I can simply take you off my account list, and move on to other customers who need help.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!