RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

If I'm renting a house in Pennsylvania and I just signed a

Customer Question

If I'm renting a house in Pennsylvania and I just signed a one year lease, does the new owner have to honor it? And if so, can the real estate agent force me to sign a new lease before the house actually closes to the new purchaser?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Yes, the lease would be valid as long as it was entered into, in good faith. The new owner of the rental property would step into the shoes of the previous owner and assume the role of the landlord and would need to honor the lease. The real estate agent can not force you to sign a new lease with different terms just because there is a new owner. Of course, you can do this if you want and negotiate it but if not, can rely on the lease that was executed prior to them owning the rental.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!