Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I purchased a home in west seneca, ny on june 30. On august

Customer Question

I purchased a home in west seneca, ny on june 30. On august 9 I had a problem with toilet over flowing. Called plumber and he said problem outside in sewer pipes and recommended i replace pipes for $6,000+. Same problem on Sept 2nd. This time he was able to locate a broken pipe. Having job done now - pipe was a mess. Neighbors told me former owners had problem and had plumber out here in the past. Can I get the sellers to pay for this job?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the seller did not disclose hidden plumbing issues upon sale, which was a mandatory disclosure, then yes, you can demand the seller pay for the repairs (unless you bought the home warranty which should pay for this). If the seller refuses your demand for their failure to disclose the hidden defect, then you would have to file suit against them in court to seek to recover your cost of repairs for their failure to disclose.