Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

What about deeding real estate to a son that you have sold

Customer Question

What about deeding real estate to a son that you have sold the property previously?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am not sure I completely understand your question....

.

Are you asking if you can deed over property to your son that you have already sold to someone else?

.

Or if you can leave a property you own to your son that only becomes effective upon your death?

.

The comment "that you have sold the property previously" is what is confusing me...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am financing the house for him. I want to deed the remaining balance to him. Can I sign and file the deed and later he signs the deed upon my death?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if this is a situation where you sold the house to him and are carrying the mortgage by seller financing and the house is still in your name, then you can execute a deed over to him at any time, have it notarized, and then just not record it. A deed is completely legal once it is signed and notarized but if you don't record the deed, then no one will know about the transfer.

.

Then once you passed, son could just record the deed then to transfer the property over to his name.

.

.

thanks