Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Landlord/tenant problems: My unit is lovely but there are

Customer Question

Landlord/tenant problems:
My unit is lovely but there are issues. When I use my hair dryer, the power shuts off. Other issues have included a clogged toilet, cockroaches, and most recently, water damage due to possible mold. It is currently about 99 degrees and and 99% humidity. The unit does not have air conditioning. The machines they have brought in to dry out the water damage under the sink blow out hot, dry air. It's like a duel which my little portable air conditioner cannot win. I also have two kitties and I am scared they will become dehydrated and sick. One of them already has a urinary tract infection and needs to have lots of water accessible for his special diet. I have asked my landlord if we could work out an arrangement where I could stay temporarily at a hotel, nothing fancy, so I can get some relief from this oppressive heat. Last night I was dizzy and nauseous and felt like I might pass out.
I would be willing to work out a trade with him and deduct a hotel stay from the rent, even forego the electric problem in exchange for paying for my hotel, but he insists it is my fault, I was negligent and it will be "on my dime."
I am a good tenant, clean and neat. I just recently paid to have the carpets cleaned. I take care of the place as if it were my own. I have always paid my rent, although twice it was late.
My landlord has blamed me for everything that has happened that I described above saying it is negligence.
What does the law say?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

What was the source of the water that caused any damages to the dwelling?

.

Were the insects there when you moved in or did they appear later?

.

Did the landlord repair the clogged toilet?

.

Is the hair dryer throwing the breaker every time you use it or just when other appliances are running like the window AC?

.

.

thanks