Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I own a home at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - Houston, TX 77044. I also

Customer Question

I own a home at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - Houston, TX 77044. I also own the lots directly across the street. This road is privately owned (an easement) and it is paved with asphalt so all the residents on that street have access to all lots on both sides of the road. I want to build my home on the XXXXXXXXXXXXX side and put up my garage across the street. The city states I cannot have a stand alone building without a home attached or it will have to be considered commercial. I am meeting with the planning commission in the morning. I am not sure how to approach this. 1 - I don't know why they won't allow this and 2 - I can ask if they will let me just building a concrete slab with a roof or a garage with a bathroom and bedroom but then they will try and tax me as if it's a home. Help.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You're probably better off to find out the reason for the rule from them and then have them describe to you exactly what they'll accept....as a bare minimum.

I would assume that since this is a residential neighborhood/area, there must actually be a residence on the lot to qualify.....or else you'd have to label the construction as commercial....which if the zoning allows for that, you may be completely fine with (although the tax assessment would likely be greater).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If the commission would allow you to build the garage with a bathroom and bedroom, etc., you may want to go that route as well. But.....it may end up that you could zone the property as commercial cheaper than the cost to add a bedroom and bathroom to the property.