RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I rented out my home in TN years with my rental contract

Customer Question

I rented out my home in TN for two years with my rental contract stating last day of occupancy is Sept 15th I was following up with my tenants today on how their moving process was going and I was advised today that since I did not send them 30 day notice then they do not have to be out on Sept 15. I thought my lease was their notification and they never advised me that they wanted to stay longer etc. Is this true? I have never heard of this.... is the signed rental contract the date they must be out? Pls advise and thank you so much
Cathy wells
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. Unless the rental agreement required either party to give a 30 day notice, then the lease would end on the 15th, when it expired. After all, the purpose behind having a start and end date, is so all parties know when it will end. They should have vacated on the 15th and unless they spoke with you about staying past the date, they would need to leave. If they did not, they would become month to month tenants, need to pay rent and you would need to give them at least a 15 day notice to vacate.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!