socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

My escrow made a mistake on security on promissory note, and

Customer Question

My escrow made a mistake on security on promissory note, and borrowers have defaulted
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Escrow added UCC1 filing of Liquor License, and Furniture Fixture & Equipment as security on the promissorynote, and I've just found out, that Liquor License cannot be used as collateral, at all. Can escrow company be sued?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Escrow agents are not authorized to practice law. By drafting a promissory note, the escrow agency has engaged in the unauthorized practice of law, and that makes the agency "negligent per se," due to the violation of an important public policy.

Consequently, the answer is, "yes," you have case and you can sue. Provided that the statute of limitations on a professional nelgience claim has not yet expired.

If you still need a phone consult, please let me know, and I will send you an additional services offer.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!