Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

The county tax assessor has our home listed at 300 more

Customer Question

The county tax assessor has our home listed at 300 more square feet than it is. We have lived there for 7 years and paid taxes on the extra square footage. They said they attempted to get accurate measurements from the previous owners. Do we have any rights to collecting overpaid taxes for the previous years? They say no. But, also said that if it were the other way around and our home was actually larger than what they have listed, we would have to pay back taxes. Please help.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

There is a process for appealing your property taxes. Section 41.44 – Notice of Protest http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TX/htm/TX.41.htm

Can you tell me if you used a loan/mortgage to purchase the home and if so did your lender perform an appraisal of your home? The appraiser should have the best information on the square footage so I am suspect of them telling you that they "attempted to get measurements from the previous owners" as they should have had measurements when the home was built and permits where applied for.

You would start by filing a protest. Have you filed anything yet?

Do you have any additional questions or information for me. It would bet pleasure to continue to assist you.