Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

We recently purchased undeveloped residential property and

Customer Question

We recently purchased undeveloped residential property and have discovered that one of the neighbors had installed a "French drain" that would empty on to the property. We discovered it when mowed the property and found a 5 inch PVC pipe running from their property approximately 3 feet onto our property. May we ask them to remove it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Not only can you ask them to remove any unauthorized encroachment by their drainage pipe onto your property, you can demand they remove it. If they refuse you can remove it yourself to the property line.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, in altering the natural flow of water from their property to yours they are liable for any damage caused by the new course the water will take on your property.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.