Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I cannot find info on holding HOA elections in Indiana. We

Customer Question

I cannot find info on holding HOA elections in Indiana. We are working on getting an inactive HOA up and running and have given all homeowners a 31 day notice of a meeting with an election. They can submit their name from now until the day of the meeting. Is this following proper procedure?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is nothing in the Indiana HOA act regarding elections, it is something that is left to the bylaws of each association to decide. So you need to be looking in your bylaws and not the HOA laws. Also, if you have given 31 day notice, you are in compliance with pretty much every set of bylaws I have ever read and unless your bylaws are completely different, you are within the proper time frame. You are not violating any law in the way you are doing things, but you need to refer to the HOA bylaws section regarding "elections" to follow those as it is not in the HOA law itself.