Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My land lord has not given me receipts payed last period.

Customer Question

My land lord has not given me receipts for rent payed last period. Only a receipt for a move in fee and first and last months rent. I need them to move into a new apartment, but they are not returning calls or e-mails about matter. Am I entitled to these receipts? It was a complex with more then 5 tenants, and the rent was taken out automatically from my bank account. No cash or checks.
Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I do not see any IL Statute that requires the landlord to give a tenant a receipt for an automatic debit from their account for rent each month. The debit records from the bank should show how much the debit was for and who it was paid to. So I would suggest getting the records from your bank showing the deductions each month and where they went to use as your receipts if the landlord won't go back and write you physical paper receipts...

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks