Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I tried to refi my home loan and the lender told me there

Customer Question

hello. I tried to refi my home loan and the lender told me there was a lien on my house from a bank here in Reno Nevada. It is from a loan my husband took out on a equity loan behind my back then he passed away. I got the termination of debt letter and the 1099-C form I filed with the IRS . The letter states that the loan is cancelled, forgiven and terminated due to debtor passing away. I looked online but don't see that a lien is on my house. What do you suggest I do? I really need to refi my home.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.You should write lender here and ask for a written release.They should provide that since they have forgiven the debt.The release must be recorded in the deed records.

You can check the deed records in your county here to see if such a release has been filed.They may have done so but not included it in your paperwork.Either way this is what you need here to clear the title of the lien and refinance.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Release of lien forms--lender should provide this.

http://www.uslegalforms.com/nv/NV-08A-09.htm

Click on free preview to see it.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating after we are done it is always sincerely ***** *****