LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

In ny I believe that small claim is up to $3000.00 what if

Customer Question

In ny I believe that small claim is up to $3000.00 what if the damage done exceeds that including a 1 month rent that they did not pay because they used up the security instead . Do I need a lawyer to take them to court and if yes do you have any re fence
in rock land county that you can recommend?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While town and village small claims courts have a limitation of $3,000 in small claims, in the bigger cities the limit is $5,000.

If you want to sue for more than is allowed in small claims court, you would probably want to be in either city court with a $15,000 limit or county court with a $25,000 limit.

While you don't have to have an attorney represent you, you may choose to do so if you wish. Here is a link to landlord-tenant attorneys who handle cases in your area: http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/lawyer_dir/search/jsp/stdSearch_process.jsp?stype=BY_ADDR_OR_ZIP&keyword=landlord+tenant&location=Rockland+county%2C+NY&target=FIRM&language=Select+a+language

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug