mkc1959
mkc1959, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
55483656

I have a property that I had to rent due to medical issues

Customer Question

I have a property that I had to rent due to medical issues I've owned it since 1996 it was my Homestead. They removed it and my house is historic 1928. From $13500/yr. last yr I had to pay $63000. This yr $79,000. They are basing it on that I lost my saves my homes and was not at my house on Jan 1. I'm living in my house now. Is there a Grandfather clause that may help me get my taxes back down? They denied the appeal for 2014.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what procedures you will need to take. In Florida, renting a homestead when there are health issues does not generally affect the homestead status. I believe an issue may arise if the rental extends beyond 6 months. Loss of a homestead exemption generally has to be a "voluntary" action. Where the absence from the homestead is involuntary, such as for health reasons, the homestead character generally is not lost. But this is a matter of fact for a fact finder ultimately to have to decide, if no resolution can be worked out with Miami Dade. With the very significant amount of money at stake, I would certainly encourage you to as soon as possible review your situation with a local attorney. To help you find a knowledgeable attorney please refer to Florida Homestead Services. Their website is http://floridahomesteadservices.com/faq.htm I have no connection with Florida Homestead Services. If I have answered your question, please hit the accept button so that I may be paid. If you have follow up questions, please let me know.