Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

We have a driveway to our home that is an easement on

Customer Question

We have a driveway to our home that is an easement on another individuals property. Now another neighbor is selling a piece of land on the opposite side of the driveway and advertising it as having a nice access road. We paid 17K to put in this long driveway and have it graveled and maintained. Can the new owners of the sale property be granted the same easement? I doesn't seem fair that we paid all this money to establish this driveway, only to have another individual get to use "our" driveway for free! Please advise
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Unless the easement is an exclusive easement, which is limited to your use only, then the owner of the property over which the easement was granted Still has the use of it. Also, someone purchases property from that owner would also have use of the easement. Please keep in mind that this is general principle law that I have not had the opportunity to review your purchase agreements, or the grant of easement itself.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.